Swing - getting from pump drill to full swing?

Swing - getting from pump drill to full swing?  

By: Rafi K on Aug. 1, 2023, 10:07 a.m.

I've been working on the following concepts: sequencing, keeping the left shoulder from spinning out, and impact position.

I feel like my static 9-3 shots are good, and the pump drill is decent (see video below - I know my head is moving back and I'm standing upon the backswing, can fix). However, I'm having a lot of trouble incorporating this work into a full swing.

I've attached a slow full swing with a pause, and even there you can see my arms starting to fall behind. When I speed up, or am on the course, the timing breaks apart and the arms fall way behind the body, causing all sorts of issues.

Any ideas?

Re: Swing - getting from pump drill to full swing?  

By: Tyler F on Aug. 6, 2023, 2:56 p.m.

In general, if the pump drill is good and breaks down in the standard full swing, then I'm looking primarily at how you end your backswing or the sequence of transition. But in your case, since you provided some videos, I'd say one of the big differences in the pump and the pause is the amount of upper body sway toward the target, this allows the arms to trail behind the body and have a bit more flip. See the attached clips.

So two questions, what happens in the pump drill if your top of backswing looks the same as the pause? What happens when you do the pump drill but try to swing harder with the downswing?

Do you have a face on video of a full swing? maybe from on the course?

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

By: Rafi K on Aug. 12, 2023, 7:01 a.m.

I will work on a "full" pump drill and fast swings, and then video them.

Thanks for the input!

By: Tyler F on Aug. 21, 2023, 9:47 a.m.

You're welcome. Good luck!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.