Losing 7mph with bowed wrist

Losing 7mph with bowed wrist  

By: Joseph B on Dec. 31, 2022, 8:43 p.m.

Tyler

Happy new year I am trying to train a bowed wrist pattern my method is to bow during the backswing usually I am cupped at the top. When I bow or feel like I'm bowing the wrist my backswing is much shorter also since I'm bowed at the top, my hands have no leverage to pull and my downswing is more body driven the good news is I am able to close the face easier, by p6 the face is slightly closed instead of toe up which is what I need. Bad news is on gc quad my driver and iron speeds are down 5-7mph. I will gladly trade distance for consistency but I'm wondering why this happens I assume shortly backswing and not being able to pull on the shaft look at my different top of backswing positions is it possible to get to shaft parallel without radial and extension ? How can I get that speed back?

Re: Losing 7mph with bowed wrist  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 2, 2023, 7:17 p.m.

Hi Joseph,

The pictures do show a shorter swing when you feel like you bow your wrist (in reality, I'd say it's more neutral than bowed :)

I'd say it's more likely the shorter swing that's causing the loss of distance. Usually, you'd get more of the backswing length from turning your hips, or extending your spine. Looking at your swing, I'd probably start with the hips, but either could work. It will usually feel like the transition is slower and smoother, but longer. Let me know if that get's you back to your normal club speed.

Happy New Year!

Re: Losing 7mph with bowed wrist  

By: Erik S on May 16, 2023, 10:11 p.m.

Hi Joseph! Just wondering if you have been able to regain your speed. I figured that if you stuck with it you would. Our body needs time to adapt to new power sources. I am not here to add anything, Tyler is a great golf coach. Erik S. EJSGolf.com

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.