How do I get a long/straight arm follow-through to the finish?

How do I get a long/straight arm follow-through to the finish?  

By: Eric A on July 13, 2020, 7:51 a.m.

Hi, based on my current swing, what drills can I work on the promote a long/straight arm finish (i.e. keeping the left arm relatively straight as it comes around my body)? I really want my arc width to be as long as possible in the follow through. The pic where I'm wearing blue is a the end of a L-to-L swing (50% effort) -- I'd love to just add wrist hinge to that finish in the full swing (i.e. 100% effort).

I can't tell if my arms are getting stuck, or if I'm flipping at the bottom, or if I'm just not rotating enough/stalling at impact? Please help! Thanks and love the GSA site, Tyler!

Last edited by: Eric A on July 13, 2020, 11:11 a.m., edited 8 times in total.

Re: How do I get a long/straight arm follow-through to the finish?  

By: Tyler F on July 17, 2020, 9:11 a.m.

Hi Eric,

When the hands are this far behind, the force of the club will naturally want to pass too soon. Check this position with your 9-3. It's possible that the to 3 is slow enough you could resist the passing of the club and keep the arms straight, or your downswing lag check point is more in-front of the shoulder.

https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/shaft-parallel-lag-checkpoint/

By: Garrett O on July 28, 2020, 9:07 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

I have a similar pattern where my hands get pretty far behind at the shaft parallel checkpoint. It’s noticeable with 9-3 or L to L drills, but even more so with a full swing. I tend to struggle with fat/thin shots, especially with long irons. Do you have a few drills/videos to recommend for this one? Thanks!

Garrett

By: Tyler F on Aug. 1, 2020, 4:26 p.m.

Yes, it's a common problem for some patterns. It almost always causes fat and thin shots as you describe. I usually work start with:
Lead foot low point, delivery and go, or push ball.
Or if my student is up for a challenge, I start with the single arm release drills to see which arm is causing the problems.

After that first phase. Then add head awareness or focus in on other release elements (focus on lead or trail arm, or body position) as needed.

I hope it helps give you some direction!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.