Footwork in relation to power production

Footwork in relation to power production  

By: Paul 85 Y on Dec. 20, 2020, 5:08 a.m.

Hi Tyler, in your video on
Charles Howell III's driver swing you mentioned his spinny left foot in the downswing indicating his dominant power production.
I to have noticed this pattern exaggerated in my own swing where it looks like I spend the whole downswing spinning on the ball of the left foot.
So is this a question of focusing on footwork first or looking at what might be preseeding that in the swing to make the foot spin necessary to deliver the club?
I have attached a FO video for reference. If you can zoom in on the footwork it's quite noticeable.
Many thanks, Paul

Re: Footwork in relation to power production  

By: Tyler F on Dec. 20, 2020, 9:43 a.m.

Hi Paul,
In this scenario, I'd think of it like learning a partner dance move. You learn the feet. You learn the arms. Then you learn to do them simultaneously. Yes, I'd probably start by working on the lower body pivot, but you'll also have to downregulate the arm pull and get the arms a little shallower to match. I would probably combine the two movements into a delivery position drill practice.
At your delivery position (see photo), your arms appear a little steep and your body will have to stall and stand up a bit to shallow things out. That would encourage your body to move into the toes.

So practice a little lower body pivot and then combine that into a delivery pump rehearsal should help clean up the foot pressure location :)

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.