Engaging Core

Engaging Core  

By: Ed C on Sept. 23, 2021, 10:30 p.m.

I've been working on the engaging the core muscles during transition, to "turtle shell" and clear more space for the arms to wipe and for the path to come more in-to-out, replacing what early extension was providing.

With 10-2 pump drills, impact is solid and ball flight is consistently straight. When taking full swings and adding the arms, my ball flight is too high and push fades to the right.

My best guess is I'm fighting something in the release. I've tried to close the face with maximum motorcycle, but it feels like a compensation for something. Perhaps my arms should release more at an angle pushing away from my body, instead of feeling like the release is from the right to left side of my body?

It's definitely a new movement pattern so it feels like learning to walk again. Which is exciting.

Re: Engaging Core  

By: Tyler F on Sept. 26, 2021, 4:33 p.m.

Hi Ed,

The 10-2 does look better, look at the comparison at impact. The biggest issue is that with the pump drill, you get the abs engaged early and keep them working, with the full swing, it looks like they are getting involved later, but the momentum of the back is carrying you into the ball a bit during the release.

If you look at the second picture, your shoulder is already behind the body in the full swing. You need to get that crunch move earlier so that your transition isn't as back-dominated. That But you're doing better at impact. As far as the motorcycle, if you look at the last picture, it looks like you've done plenty of the motorcycle move. But since you drift into more extension from there, that helps create the tendency to push fade. Improving the core should give you less of the push miss. Keep it up!

Tyler

By: Ed C on Sept. 29, 2021, 8:46 p.m.

Thanks!

I'll use the core activation feeling in the 10-2 pump drill and apply it into the full swing. Once you mentioned it, I realize now it's not the same feeling at all in the core between the two swings.

By: Tyler F on Oct. 2, 2021, 6:52 a.m.

Sounds good. And don't worry about missing the feel difference, that's why we're here. A second set of eyes sometimes makes the obvious actually obvious. Good luck!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.