Can’t figure this over the top piece

Can’t figure this over the top piece  

By: Ben T on May 4, 2023, 8:29 a.m.

Hey Tyler- wanted to ask for some help here…. I had gotten away from this issue for a while but now for some reason im struggling to figure out what to do here or what to drill down on to fix this… when I start to transition my hands, on my first move, come out and over and sometimes I can band aid it by getting my right shoulder to go hard externally but that’s rare….. but whatever I need to do to keep these hands from getting off to a bad start I would love to try and drill in to my game…and if you feel my swing needs to start off in a better place somewhere else then im all ears as well. thanks for the help in advance..

Re: Can’t figure this over the top piece  

By: Tyler F on May 7, 2023, 6:37 a.m.

Hi Ben, do you have a face on by any chance? I have some ideas but want to confirm a couple of things first. There's always hope for fixing it :)

Looking forward to helping you figure it out,

Tyler

By: Ben T on May 7, 2023, 6:49 a.m.

No sadly I don’t. This was just me filming at my house real quick for a session. And my go to angle is usually this bc of my shallowing issue lately. Sorry

By: Tyler F on May 7, 2023, 8:49 a.m.

No worries. Since the swing is a 3D motion, it's helpful to see how the pieces fit. In general, I think about 70% of the swing is better to see from face on, so down the line only is leaving a lot of helpful information out of the equation.

Looking at your swing, I get the sense that it could be one of those lessons where I start in one place, and end up in a totally different area by the end of the lesson. But, I'll try to give you some guidance.

In general, the steeps and shallows have to match. Steep arm movements help golfers move low point forward and create speed. So often, if you get shallower arms, you'll move low point backward temporarily.

The direct influences for your steep transition are:
1. Lack of ulnar deviation (both in transition and at impact)
2. The lead arm not pinning (hands well outside the shoulder, which makes the wrist movements look less steep then they actually are, but could cause shanking)
3. Loss of trail shoulder blade retraction

More often than not, I work on fixing this pattern by starting at the release. Looking at building a better impact and follow through (this was hard to see without face on). You can see at impact how you actually have some radial deviation and your trail arm is fairly straight. That combo is usually accompanied by a steep arm transition.

One other question mark for me is looking at the top of the backswing depth of turn and axis tilt. That could contribute to the steep look.

I hope this gives you a couple of ideas to play around with

Happy golfing,

By: Ben T on May 7, 2023, 9:32 a.m.

Thank you for the thoughts… I saw a video about how you said the shoulders rotation compliment each other (thinking steering wheel) and I went out earlier today focusing on right shoulder depression/retraction and noticed on film that my left shoulder was still going external at start of swing so I switched to feeling Lead arm going internal and that has seemed to help more than feeling trail arm retraction… Is that a bad idea? Is there some piece im missing of why it would be more important to think about the trail shoulder over the lead shoulder.

Also the lack of ulnar makes good sense… seems like in increase radial in transition so im going to try and make that “feel” more like I dont’ let that radial increase in transition and then obviously I have to work on more ulnar at impact… I’ve never really had that in my golf swing… almost always had a low handle delivery.

Thanks again

By: Tyler F on May 7, 2023, 9:38 a.m.

I think the lead arm doing an anti-pull is a good feel for a lot of golfers who get steep. Here's a video I did on that topic, https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/block-trail-arm-throw/

It's hard to get the ulnar piece if you don't have the trail elbow working more in front of the body. They really require each other to be present for either to really work well.

I like the lead arm idea, play around with it and give us an update,

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.