What are your golf goals for 2020?

What are your golf goals for 2020?  

By: Tyler F on Dec. 30, 2019, 12:12 p.m.

This is a pretty simple article to help you prioritize your practice if your goal is breaking 80.

https://www.golf.com/instruction/columns-instruction/2019/09/19/how-to-break-80-low-handicapper-advice/?fbclid=IwAR1H6XF5w9EglBKw4YVwNJSirVuqn8Dtx5XOiI17rgxlkJKAx6rBxw3p8o8

I'd love to hear what your goals are for this upcoming year?

My personal goals for 2020:
- Handle back to back 18 hole rounds pain-free
- Record each practice in my journal

Stats:
- Improve proximity to the hole from 80-120
- Increase driver swing speed by 5MPH with better use of core

Technically:
- improve my delivery position and bracing.
- Finesse wedge - improve trajectory and spin control - avg 6 feet from all shots inside 30 yards
- Putting - improve the start line on putts outside 40 feet.

Last edited by: Tyler F on Jan. 2, 2020, 2:44 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: What are your golf goals for 2020?  

By: Ed C on Dec. 30, 2019, 2:49 p.m.

+Tyler F

This could be a really interesting thread.

My 2020 golf goal: Record two rounds of -1.5 Strokes Gained Off the Tee (or better)

It seems like a strange goal, but it wasn't random. In 2019, I used DECADE Elite to record stats (output of a typical 'good' round attached). The data helped me learn that Driving is the biggest weakness in my game. Will be switching to Arccos golf sensors in 2020, because data collection seems simpler and less manual.

Tyler, I'm curious, do you find it better or worse to have a specific numerical target for your own goals? (proximity to the hole, swing speed, etc.)

Last edited by: Ed C on Dec. 30, 2019, 3:01 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

By: John C on Dec. 31, 2019, 11:14 a.m.

+Tyler F
Since I started as an apprentice in the PGA program I wanted to qualify for one of our national championship events. I have never done better than earn an alternate position. My goal now is to qualify for the National Senior PGA. Looking at previous results I need to play 36 holes at par or better. This leads me to think I need to get my handicap to +2 have a reasonable chance to shoot par in a specific competition. To get there I need to be a much better player around the greens, improving my pitching and chipping from inside 50 yards, and become a more consistent putter. My handicap (yes I keep a handicap) has dropped from 2.3 to 0.0 in the last 6 months. I hope that my continued focused full swing practice and short game practice will continue the trend. By the way, I will be 67 years old when the next qualifier occurs.
Short answer, I want to get up and down at least 2/3 of the time when I miss a green!

By: Kevin J on Jan. 2, 2020, 2:54 p.m.

+Tyler F

I’ve got to find a consistent and reliable approach to coming down to the ball from the inside. I generally try to play a draw for needed distance but more times than not I tend to pull the ball, come across it or over the top....it’s something that is recent in the past few years and be damned if I can figure out how to stop doing it!

By: Tony D on Jan. 3, 2020, 3:04 p.m.

+Kevin J
I've been fighting the same problem for 2 years Kevin-I'm starting to have some luck with a drill I saw that focuses on the right arm staying under the left all the way through-practise it half way back to half way through, if looking at a mirror from the side, you make sure the left arm is above the right arm all the way to finish, which should be an elongated 'punch' type finish, club in front tending to your right, clubface pointing a bit to the right. Another thought is finish with right side bend which is needed to keep the right arm under the left....try it, nothing to lose! I think the main problem we have is the right hand/arm/shoulder being too dominant which forces the pull type move, by keeping it weak (i.e. a support only) it can stay under and allow the left arm be more dominant

By: Lani H on Jan. 4, 2020, 11:06 a.m.

+Tyler F
Happy New Year Tyler!
I love setting goals! Thanks for the opportunity to express them. My goals for my golf game in this new decade (yikes!) are:
- Forever get rid of my chicken wing by better-understanding, learning and incorporating the "stock tour swing release".
- Feel comfortable enough with my swing to increase my swing speed.
- Stop being "timid" about trying a shot because I don't want to end up in the sand or rough by knowing that even if I do, I have a shot for recovering.
- Learn those shots.
- Feel confident enough with my game to enter a tournament (gotta see what a golf adrenaline rush is like).
- Improve proximity to the hole from 80-120.
- Learn how to spin the ball.
- Improve my core strength and speed and stop being so "arms-oriented" on my swing.

Anyway, lots of goals for this year and these are only my golf ones. Thanks for all the great lessons, site and inspiration!

Last edited by: Lani H on Jan. 4, 2020, 2:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Kevin J on Jan. 3, 2020, 3:40 p.m.

Thanks Tony, makes a lot of sense! Will head to the range this weekend and work on the drill.

By: Nick W on Jan. 4, 2020, 9:08 a.m.

I try not to set too many so that I make sure to keep focus, but it ended up being quite a few.

Golf Goals:
- Shoot under 80 at least three times (had three rounds of 81 last summer, so I just need to get those last few strokes shaved off
- Beat a friend that I haven't beaten in 15 years. He can often shoot in the 70s, but I've closed the gap a lot over the past two seasons
- Get good enough that I can enjoy some more challenging courses on a couple golf trips
- Get driver swing speed max to 135MPH. I will play at a much lower rate than this, but I want to have the capability to swing this fast.
- Consistent good fundamental putting setup and stroke. I've been such a poor fundamental for years, that I just want to ingrain the basics this year.
- Practice for at least 5 minutes in the morning before going into the office. The motor learning research suggests that quick bursts of practice can be highly effective. I feel like I've been leaving improvement on the table by sleeping for five extra minutes instead of getting in some sort of quick practice. I plan to practice the main move in my full swing from my latest swing submission to Tyler; hopefully this will rapidly increase my improvement in those key movements!

Golf Fitness Goals:
- Gain 15lbs. My target weight is 2.75x my height in inches, but that is a lot of weight for me to gain in one year (30lbs), so I'm breaking this up into a two year goal.
- Dunk a basketball. With vertical jumping ability being one of the key indicators of potential power, I want to be able to dunk a basketball.
- A few lifting goals:
a) Deadlift 2x bodyweight (my current all time best is about 1x bodyweight)
b) Bench Press 1.25x bodyweight (my current all time best is about 0.75x bodyweight)
c) Squat to Parallel 1.75x bodyweight (my current all time best is probably less than 1x bodyweight)
d) 5 Pull-Ups (my current all time best is 3 pull ups)
e) 13 Chin-Ups (my current all time best is 7 chin ups)
f) Reverse Lunge 1.5x bodyweight (I've never really attempted this lift)
I'm crazy far away from achieving these lifting goals, so they are a stretch. I targeted these based on research from Josh Heenan, a PT focused on baseball players, and Mike Carrol, the Fit for Golf owner.
- I also would like to test my shotput with left and right arm as well as seated chest pass and get it into the 90th percentile, per the article linked below, but this is really a secondary goal.
http://www.mytpi.com/articles/swing/the_safe_way_to_train_fast_determining_your_readiness_for_overspeed_training
- No failures in the standard TPI assessment.
If I achieve all these fitness goals, I don't think I should have any significant physical limitations for golf, which should help me for not only this year, but years to come as well.

Nick

By: Nick W on April 26, 2020, 2 p.m.

+Nick W
Given the situation we are in, I thought I’d check in with my progress on the full year goals.

I am doing surprisingly well! I’ve nearly reached my weight goal for the year, although I’ll need to keep it on through year end.

With the gym closed for the past month, I’ve focused on mobility. It’s been a painful process (I’ve been sore basically everyday) but I’m pretty much passing each test in the TPI screening right now. It’s incredible how far I’ve come with calf, hamstring and hip mobility in just about one month. I’m significantly more mobile now than at any other time in my life. I hope this will not only help me in golf, but also to put on strength and size as my squat and deadlift form are much better now.

Although I have some refining to do, I’ve basically achieved my putting goal. I have the basic mechanics in a decent spot. Just like my mobility work, putting improvement for me was a painful slow process, but I’m very happy with where I’m at for this time of the year.

I still have a ton of work to do on my strength, scoring and swing speed goals, but I have a lot of time to figure it out.

Nick

By: Tyler F on April 27, 2020, 10:41 a.m.

+Nick W Thanks for the update. Sounds like you've taken full advantage of the lockdown. As you mentioned, the key is having the process to be able to keep the gains. But often, a shorter intensive period like this is hugely helpful for building some momentum to start a new habit/level of priorities.

By: Nick W on Nov. 29, 2020, 8:19 p.m.

With one month left in the year, I wanted to provide another update.

With the gyms being closed for most of the year, I'm not going to be anywhere to most of those fitness goals. I've been working a lot on mobility, so I think I could pass the TPI assessment portion. I'll need to go through that assessment at year end and see if made it.

In terms of the golfing goals, I only broke 80 once, but I shot it playing my friend I have been trying to beat for years and he shot an 81. I suppose it is still possible I could get a couple more rounds in this year and get them both under 80, but it seems like this will overall be a fail.

My putting has some final improvements to make over the next few weeks to truly meet my goal, but I think it is attainable.

My driver swing speed improved (got up to a high of 127 MPH), but the goal of 135MPH by year end seems unlikely.

The most improved part of my game this year has been my ball striking with my irons and my driving accuracy. Both of these were only implicit in my goals; I thought if they improved my scores would drop, which I have found is not exactly the case. I am really excited to what I'll be able to shoot next year if I keep improving in these areas. Improvement here has made golf much more fun. I'm at the point now where I'm getting more shaft lean and hitting the ball off the center of the clubface.

Overall, way more fails than passes for me this year, but I made strides in the right direction on all fronts.

Hope everyone else had a good year with their goals (or can sprint to the finish line to achieve them)!

Nick

By: Ed C on Dec. 5, 2020, 10:25 p.m.

Nick - your dedication to your goals this year is admirable.

As for my own golf goal this year, it was to play two rounds with better than -1.5 strokes gained off the tee with driver. Well, I just played my 3rd round of golf this year (I know, sucks), but have been able to play 9-hole stretches in each of the three rounds with better than -1 strokes gained off the tee. So I'm glad to be making progress.

The best part has been finally figuring out how to put all the pieces together toward building a stock driver swing. COVID has slowed down the game plan, but it can't stop progress! And I suppose watching and drilling 650+ GSA videos with all the downtime also helps.

By: Nick W on Dec. 6, 2020, 10:38 a.m.

Ed,
Good to hear that your driver is coming along!

I use the Arccos App to track strokes gained. For me, it is becoming more common to finish a round in + territory for approach shots. It is kind of funny to me that the app tells me I'm especially strong at shots from 175-200 yards, which if I remember correctly was the distance that Mark Broadie called out as being one of the most important ones in golf. It is not too uncommon for me to finish close to scratch in both short game and putting, although the app tells me my 25-50 yard shots are a big weakness.

My driver though is usually 4 or 5 strokes lost relative to scratch. For someone with as much power potential as I have (127mph max swing speed as I mentioned above), this is a really big weakness. The biggest part of my improvement will come through improved mechanics, which I'm starting to be able to do in range sessions, but it is taking some time to translate into my big "pressure" $5 nassau rounds :) I get frustrated with myself a little bit that I let that pressure get to me in something so trivial, but the reality is I need to get my mechanics better in practice before they will really translate. I also can help by playing it a little more conservative when trouble is in play. For example, yesterday I drove the ball through the fairway on a mild dogleg right instead of just playing a shorter club, getting the ball out there and having a guaranteed look at the green on my second shot, instead of the punch out I had to play. My iron play has improved so much this year that I'm not used to adjusting my strategy to take advantage of it!

Long story short, I'm joining you on setting a strokes gained driving for next year. +1.5 seems like a good stretch goal, so I'll try to match your target!

Thank you for sharing,

Nick

By: Tyler F on Dec. 6, 2020, 10:57 a.m.

It's hard to imagine that the year is almost over!

I've always thought that the important part of the goal-setting process is the process. For example, with my goals. I was able to play one round virtually pain-free (didn't have the time or capacity to try for back-to-back rounds). But I made some much bigger strides with my fitness goals. I feel I'm in a much better position going into 2021 than I was a year ago. :)

Nick, I'm working on program for you guys to help with scoring goals. For example, if your goal was to break 80, what were the actual changes that were going to help you achieve it. Stats wise. Where are your scores deviating from someone who shoots 75. As a real quick thought process, what percentage of holes are you within 20 yards of the green in regulation, and what percentage do you get up and down? Maybe that can help with the thought process for next year.

Ed, good luck getting more rounds in next year. Even with great technique, I think it would be hard to perform in an elite way with only 3 rounds a year 😬

By: Nick W on Dec. 6, 2020, 11:33 a.m.

Tyler,
My GIR % is 36%. I don't have great data on the % within 20 yards of GIR, but I'd estimate that would add another 10% or so, although I'm not sure. My up-and-down % is only 32%.

I'm averaging 3 drives out of play, an additional drive per round that requires a punch out and one drive that is just not struck well (topped, popped up, etc). The weakness in driving accuracy/consistency is my biggest opportunity, so this is what my biggest focus will be on for next season (and what I have worked on the most this year). Although I have not been able to make a big breakthough this year, I know I've improved and have a plan to get my driver accuracy under control for next year. Combined with my distance potential, I could get this part of my game to go from -5.2 strokes gained/round relative to a scratch player into plus territory. I believe that driving improvement alone, even without improvement in any other area could get me into the 70s consistently.

I'm also averaging 34 putts/round, which of course is a combination of putting performance and how close I am to the hole.

Now, I might be too optimistic with my short game and putting, but I've been making some really good progress on my wedge game from 20 yards and in lately. I almost couldn't believe some of the shots I was making during my last round. (Now, my 50-100 yard wedge game is definitely costing me right now and I need to work on it; I'm not putting the ball tight enough to the pin from that distance).

My putting definitely needs improvement, but I feel like if I can my mechanics just a little bit better, I'll be at 32 or even 31 putts/round in fairly short order.

Nick

By: Tyler F on Dec. 6, 2020, 6:04 p.m.

Getting clear on your stats can help prioritize.

Tour pros average 12-13 GIR and 95% nGIR (within 20 yards). Scratch golf is about 9 GIR, so I give the rough guide of 85% nGIR for my golfers trying to get to scratch. The good rounds, they'll be close to 95%.

If you're not hitting those numbers, then you have to ask yourself...
1. Am I not hitting it well enough from inside 140? (need to work on iron play and managing long game)
2. or do I not have enough opportunities inside of 140 to hit those numbers? (work on driving)

Other that than, the analysis you gave seems pretty sound. Keep working on the big four skills (driving, irons, wedge, putting) while incrementally improving the other areas and you'll have continued improvement.

Good luck!

Tyler

By: Nick W on Dec. 9, 2020, 5:49 p.m.

Tyler,
I track all my rounds through Arccos, which is good but imperfect in that I can’t get that answer near GIRs easily.

That being said, I know my big opportunities in order of potential impact are i) driving accuracy, ii) putting inside of 10 feet (I don’t make enough putts that aren’t tap ins) and iii) 50-100 yards out where I’m not getting tight enough and even missing greens on occasion; it shouldn’t be a problem distance for me, but for whatever reason I’ve struggled there.

I really hope I can get my GIR % way up with some better driving next year!

Nick

By: Tyler F on Dec. 10, 2020, 7:40 a.m.

Well, if you have to track one stat nGIR by hand, it's probably worth it to help prioritize.

But it sounds like you have some clear goals. That's great! Now you have to break those global goals down into tangible goals. That's where you can plan how you will reach your goals and what you should really invest your time into.

By: Nick W on Dec. 11, 2020, 12:56 p.m.

Tyler,
Ok, you talked me into it :) I'll track that manually. I'm also sending a note to Arccos suggesting that they include that as a stat in their app.

I tend to get too much into the numbers analysis, so I didn't want to overdo it, but if you believe it is that important, then I'm in.

How to improve my weaknesses:
Driving: My issues are getting too steep, too much hip slide and poor wrist conditions. I'm working diligently on all of these as I know the size of the prize for fixing my driving is so big! I

Putting: I'm submitting my videos to you for review and leveraging my Ex Putt simulator to help dial in face and path control. I'm also starting to work on some AimPoint green reading. With 0-10 feet being my biggest weakness, starting the ball on my intended line with better face and path control (currently come out-to-in with open putter face) will make a big difference.
Wedge Game: In some ways, my improvement plan here is more of a "wait and see." I'm always working to improve my mechanics with my full swing for irons, so that should translate to this types of half and quarter shots as well. As this is my third priority and my improvement potential is more limited, I do not want to take too much time away from my first two goals getting better here. Once, I have the first two in a better spot, I plan on hammering this one hard if it is still a weakness, but that could be a few months away.

Thanks for the help!

Nick

By: John C on Jan. 29, 2021, 10:25 a.m.

I have being trying to remove early extension of the spine and "steep late" for three years now. I have improved thanks to your drills and information posted to your website and from your book. The "Arms Deconstructed Drill" has been particularly helpful. I have been focusing on better rotation to help remove the early extension of the spine and trail arm. My question is, in a 2D world, does the look of a deeper hand path at P5 vs P3 any indication of better rotation? Do you think it is worth chasing?
Thanks as always, stay well.
John

By: Tyler F on Jan. 30, 2021, 7:28 p.m.

A deeper hand path at P5 vs P3 comes more from the sequence of using the lower body prior to the shoulders pulling. It can be a good area to focus on. Sequencing is not the only reason that golfers early extend, but it's a common balance to early arm action.
Good luck!
Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.