Weight shift and half-swings

Weight shift and half-swings  

By: Gene P on March 17, 2024, 8:42 a.m.

Hi there,
When I'm training a new movement and working on drills that call for half-swings or really anything less than a full swing, I often get tripped up with my weight shift and timing of where my weight should be at different points/positions. I find that when I go back to a 9:00 position and then start to come back down, my weight is not where it normally would be in a full swing (often too far on the trail side) and then my body is confused on how it should be reacting to that. I've tried pausing at the 9:00 position and then getting my weight to the lead side, and then starting the downswing from there, but that really messes up the rhythm. Or I've tried doing a really fast version of the weight shift, but again the rhythm is way off. Should I just start with more weight on the lead side and forget about the backswing part of the drill and focus on what's happening on the downswing (since I'm mostly focusing on release drills at the moment)? Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what's worked for them.

Thanks!

Re: Weight shift and half-swings  

By: Tyler F on March 18, 2024, 10:34 a.m.

Hey Gene,

Yes, I'd say that the weight shift in the 9-3 can be a barrier for some. I think it's best to either preset the weight at the start or make the backswing slightly more leftward-biased than normal. Personally, I set the weight a little more forward. I find that if you try to do it dynamically, then you'll overshoot with too much slide, or create too much tilt. I'd aim for the setup on a 9-3 to be closer to 80 percent on the lead foot.
Happy Golfing,
Tyler

By: Gene P on March 18, 2024, 1:58 p.m.

Thanks Tyler, I'll work on this!

By: Tyler F on March 24, 2024, 3:42 p.m.

Great, keep us posted!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.