Wedge for finesse shots on dormant/bare bermuda

Wedge for finesse shots on dormant/bare bermuda  

By: Dirk K on March 30, 2023, 2:13 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

What is your recommendation for a wedge under those conditions? Loft, bounce and grind?

Thanks!

Re: Wedge for finesse shots on dormant/bare bermuda  

By: Tyler F on April 2, 2023, 10:24 a.m.

Hi Dirk,

Unfortunately, there isn't a standard for bounce numbers and designs across manufacturers. Also, I think adjusting bounce has just as much to do with the firmness and type of soil as much as the thickness or length of the grass. I would give different recommendations if the soil is wet or sandy and the bounce has a tendency to dig versus if the soil is firmer like clay. I would test to see how much glide I was getting with contact and adjust from there.

As a little background, I once got to "caddy" for an afternoon at TPI where Brad Faxon was hanging out with Bob Vokey trying lots of different wedges. It was a lot of trial and error and comments like, "I think this might feel like this, but let's see." After that experience, I am less likely to think I can predict club fitting enough to give specific recommendations. I can say what I think the tendencies might be, but there is enough individuality in release styles that the same club can feel and behave differently for two different golfers.

My personal preference is to have slightly different bounces in my wedges so that I have more options for different scenarios and conditions.

Happy Golfing,

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.