Swing Plane "over the top" AND Club Path "in to out"???

Swing Plane "over the top" AND Club Path "in to out"???  

By: Bill L on April 17, 2022, 11:38 a.m.

Could someone help me understand how I could be "over the swing" plane when looking at my swing on video, and yet my launch monitor is telling me that my "club path" is 7 degrees "in to out". If I try to get my swing on plane, then I am about 10 degrees "in to out". I thought I knew the correlation but I must be missing something. Perhaps it is because the "club path" is calculated just before impact, and perhaps I am doing something at the bottom? Thanks for any help you might have.

Last edited by: Bill L on April 18, 2022, 5:21 p.m., edited 8 times in total.

Re: Swing Plane "over the top" AND Club Path "in to out"???  

By: Tyler F on April 17, 2022, 12:11 p.m.

Hi Bill,

Once you know how to look at your swing on video, you can usually get in the ball park of swing path and direction. Not accurate enough to know the exact number, but at least the general trend. 10 degrees in to out is quite a bit in to out. It should show up on video pretty clearly.

I cover this aspect of video analysis in the be your own coach program. Looking at slice and hook.

https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/courses/be-your-own-coach/swing-analysis-slice-and-hook

With the excessive in to out path, you should see the club enter from well inside of the impact line, or exit well above it. The exit path is usually the likely culprit.

If you want some more clear instruction, please post your DTL swing and we can identify the likely cause and look for the overly in to out path.

Tyler

By: Bill L on April 18, 2022, 4:33 p.m.

Thank you for your reply Tyler. I did put my swing in the original post for your review. This swing was 5 degrees in to out, and the club head traced the elbow plane line on the way down. If I try to shallow the club and get closer to the swing plane (using a line up the shaft at address) then my path goes to 10 degrees in to out. Any thoughts on my swing, and this particular issue, would be helpful.

Thanks Tyler. Love the site!

Last edited by: Bill L on April 18, 2022, 5:26 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

By: Bill L on April 18, 2022, 5:28 p.m.

It doesn't look like my downloads are loading on your site. I am using SwingCatalyst to record. They are MP4 files. If there are specific instructions on how to upload, please let me know. Thanks.

By: Lawrence L on April 18, 2022, 6:54 p.m.

Hi Bill,
For some reason your mp4 file doesn't play properly in our player. I can see that the file was uploaded to our server though so I downloaded it and converted it to an MOV. It's attached to this post so that Tyler can now review it.

For future videos, simply open up your mp4 video in Quicktime and export it as 720p. This will save it as an MOV which you can upload and is viewable in our video player.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Thanks,
Lawrence
GSA Team Member

By: Bill L on April 21, 2022, 12:30 p.m.

Thank you Lawrence. I look forward to Tyler's review.

By: Tyler F on April 24, 2022, 10:53 a.m.

Thanks for posting the video. I sympathize with the confusion. I'm trying to help reconcile the numbers. I can't quite tell if the camera is off (because of the matt orientation and the black target behind the net). it appears at first that the camera is deep and shooting out toward the target line instead of parallel. Can you put a stick down so that I know where you're aiming?

I agree with you that it doesn't look severely in to out on camera. Do you struggle with really big draws and pushes?

The one area that could cause the path to be more in to out is the amount of axis tilt. Your upper body has more of a stall pattern during the release and that tilt can cause the path numbers to be higher in to out.

Assuming this is your at home station, can you shoot another video from DTL with an alignment stick on the ground and the camera in line with that stick?

Thanks,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.