Shallow the shaft with rotation?

Shallow the shaft with rotation?  

By: Tyler F on April 18, 2020, 10:37 a.m.

Morning golfers, are you confused about shallowing out the shaft in transition? Here's a breakdown of the simple way to look at what shallows and what steepens in transition. This will help you understand the advantages, or the dangers, of turning hard vs pulling down in transition!

Last edited by: Tyler F on Aug. 9, 2020, 10:57 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Shallow the shaft with rotation?  

By: John J on Aug. 7, 2020, 8:12 p.m.

Where are the videos?

By: Tyler F on Aug. 9, 2020, 11:02 a.m.

Sorry about that. some of the videos were accidentally deleted during a site update. These shallow videos are fixed now! Enjoy!

By: David M on April 18, 2020, 5 p.m.

That's good. You mentioned the pinkie of the left hand very briefly. Is there a significance? I find that in the motorcycle move I have considerable tension in the left hand grip both from underneath [fingers] and on top [palm]. Ideally should there somewhat less tension in the left hand grip and left arm? The right hand stays underneath [ fingers] easily ala the Moe Norman video. Thanks Tyler. Dave M. in Cleveland.

Last edited by: David M on April 18, 2020, 5:02 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: John L on April 20, 2020, 8:01 a.m.

Thanks Tyler for the great description. I love how you got into the kinesthetic of the hands. I do have a question. The description you gave you were standing vertically. How much does that change when we stand to it in normal golf posture? It always looks like the left arm is too far out at P5 when this is demonstrated, what is too much and not enough? Is the example skewed a bit when only demonstrating with one hand on the club? Thanks for any answer, love what you’re doing!!

By: Mark E on April 20, 2020, 1:29 p.m.

Thanks Tyler
I find this concept vexing as the body rotation shallowing seems to move the hand path out towards the target line and I don’t understand how the clubhead gets to the ball without a late steepening move that seems dramatic to me. Do you have to limit the amount the handpath moves out and if so how?

By: Tyler F on April 21, 2020, 4:04 p.m.

Here's a response to those three questions.

Last edited by: Tyler F on Aug. 9, 2020, 11:02 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Ed C on April 21, 2020, 10:50 p.m.

+Tyler F

These videos are quite the education!

Building off of your answer to question 3 ... how should golfers be thinking about face control, once we establish a better movement pattern of "shallow early, steepen late"? In my case, the trail elbow feels more "locked in"against the body, and is also wiping more, resulting in a more open club face @ impact. With the motorcycle "feeling" like it's already maxed out, my only instinct is to stay down & rotate the body more/harder to square up the face. But I recall that rotating harder would tend to open the face?

Last edited by: Ed C on April 21, 2020, 10:51 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on April 24, 2020, 11:31 a.m.

+Ed C I advocate using video to help calibrate your personal clubface control needs. By using face alignment before or after shaft parallel in the downswing, you can see if you need more of the flexion piece of the motorcycle or the supination piece of the motorcycle. Flexing the wrist by itself won't do enough to close the face. Yes, the wipe, swallowing, lag, all rotate the face more open, so you have to balance that for good clubface control.

By: Ed C on April 25, 2020, 1:04 a.m.

+Tyler F

"Flexing the wrist by itself won't do enough to close the face." - Ah hah!

By: David M on April 21, 2020, 5:22 p.m.

Thanks, Tyler, pinky man here. At the conclusion of the most recent video, you mentioned keeping the club slightly behind your hand early in the transition. Can I assume this is unhinging or left hand ulnar deviation similar to throwing the axe [Como], pulling an arrow from its quiver [Leadbetter] and keeping the clubface on the wall behind and parallel to my back to start the downswing? Dave M.

Last edited by: David M on April 21, 2020, 7:01 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on April 24, 2020, 11:24 a.m.

+David M Yes hands behind the shaft in transition comes from a feeling similar to those you mentioned. Everyone experiences the same moves differently

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.