Scottie Scheffler swing analysis?

Scottie Scheffler swing analysis?  

By: Gene P on March 7, 2022, 12:57 p.m.

Tyler, was wondering if you might do a swing analysis of Scottie Scheffler some time. I don't really love his swing, but it seems to the naked (amateur) eye that he does some unique things. So would be interesting to hear your take and insights on what he's doing. Keep up the great work!

Re: Scottie Scheffler swing analysis?  

By: Tyler F on March 8, 2022, 5:30 p.m.

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the suggestion. We are doing a renovation of my studio at the club, hopefully, when that's complete it'll lend itself to less time-intensive analysis videos. I do think he has some interesting matchups, so it would be fun to analyze his swing for you. But I can't promise anything too soon, I'm still grinding on the programs I'm hoping to get out for the site this spring. Putting, Wedge Play, and Playing Golf are all on their way first!

But for fun, what do you see when you look at his swing?

Tyler

By: Gene P on March 8, 2022, 6:16 p.m.

Ok sounds good. No rush -- I know you have a lot going on right now!

As far as my take on Scottie's swing, I just see a lot of movement that looks like lunging and heaving during the swing, and it seems very un-Tour-like if you know what I mean. But obviously he must be doing enough things "right" at the right moments to make it all work. When I watch him in real-time, I always wonder if he's throwing his hips at the ball and early extending, but in slow mo, it seems like that action is later than what the naked eye sees -- and also seems like his hips move more toward the target and away from the ball with that motion to clear space for his arms and so he can turn hard. I'll also just say that his footwork is a little wild to me but he's clearly athletic enough to make that work. All that being said, I think it's cool to see Tour pros with unorthodox styles, but also see how they do things that get the club into amazing positions where it matters most. Would love to hear about the match-ups you see in his swing.

By: Tyler F on March 9, 2022, 2:39 p.m.

I do think he's an interesting case study, so maybe I'll try to find some time to do a video on him. Even if it's on the shorter side.

He's got some steep arms in transition, so a lot of his body actions are shallowing movements to balance that out and help with speed. That said, his combination is pretty rare and in theory, shouldn't cause a lot of the same inconsistency that many steep arm patterns create. I think the comparison to Greg Norman is an interesting one. It's easy to see the sliding lower body and make a comparison, but I see more key differences than similarities. I think the really interesting component is looking at the way, and the timing, of their early extension patterns.

Last edited by: Tyler F on March 9, 2022, 5:32 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Subscribe now for full access to our video library.