Member Q&A - Discussing the rate of side bend?

Member Q&A - Discussing the rate of side bend?  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 8, 2020, 7:18 p.m.

Brian asked on the site - https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/monitoring-right-side-bend/

Tyler, I have a conceptual question: is there a 3-D graph that shows the rate of right side bend from the top of the swing to impact? I don’t want exact details, just the concept. For example, does the rate of side bend occur linearly, or does most of it occur early and then held through impact, or does it happen slowly at the start of the downswing and then speed up?

Here's an answer to help, and a graph that shows the rate of side bend for one elite level tour pro. The blue line is the speed of side bend for the upper body, the red is the pelvis. Notice in transition, the pelvis is positive and the upper body is negative (still left bending) but then the upper body side bends quicker during the transition shallow. But it really takes off during impact. That second spike is the one most people feel as it relates to the upper body or spine.

Last edited by: Tyler F on Aug. 17, 2021, 9:15 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Member Q&A - Discussing the rate of side bend?  

By: Ed C on Jan. 9, 2020, 1:04 a.m.

+Tyler F

I'm curious what primary force is motivating the upper body to right side bend at such a high rate after impact - is it to counter-balance the momentum of the golf club in the follow-through?

By: Tyler F on Jan. 10, 2020, 7:46 a.m.

+Ed C To counterbalance the pull of the club is part of it, but it's also to help accelerate the club. Down at impact, the majority of the force is normal to the movement of the club. Meaning that the dominant pull is back up toward the golfer. Not every golfer FEELS that relationship, but it's definitely what's happening. The upper body "hanging back" allows you to use bigger muscles than just the arms and shoulders to create that direction of pull.
So it helps with balance, it helps with geometry, and it helps with force. That's why I like the bracing idea for many golfers looking to improve their release ;)

By: Brian M on Jan. 9, 2020, 8:36 a.m.

Thanks Tyler,

Great answer and video as always.

Brian

By: John J on Aug. 17, 2021, 8:14 p.m.

Pls attach videos

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.