Lead Leg During Backswing

Lead Leg During Backswing  

By: Ed C on Oct. 18, 2021, 9:43 p.m.

What causes the lead leg to turn inward during the backswing - for some golfers, but not others?

Matthew Wolff & Bubba Watson come to mind as players with very pronounced lead leg movement during the backswing, whereas Rory's lead leg seems more firmly planted all the way to the top of the backswing.

I am wondering if it is because Wolff and Watson are emphasizing different muscle groups in the takeaway compared to Rory? I can't imagine the lead leg turning in stemming from a physical limitation, but am quite curious nonetheless.

Re: Lead Leg During Backswing  

By: Tyler F on Oct. 21, 2021, 1:22 p.m.

Hey Ed,

The simple answer is that lead hip flexibility is the biggest key. In Rory's case, he's rotating his lead hip externally in the backswing more than Bubba or Matt Wolff. It could be a result of loading a different sling, or just a feeling of vs avoiding a feeling of tension in the lead hip.

Hope that helps,

Tyler

By: Ed C on Oct. 21, 2021, 3:32 p.m.

Thanks - hip flexibility makes sense.

Is it fair to assume that it doesnt affect the consistency of ball striking at that elite level?

By: Tyler F on Oct. 23, 2021, 7:44 a.m.

Yes, I think that specific look would have a negligible impact. It might help or restrict hip turn in the backswing, but the change would be to allow for better use of the trail side, not what's happening at the lead hip.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.