Hitting high shots

Hitting high shots  

By: Rasser S on June 1, 2022, 4:29 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

Have a few questions on hitting high shots. I often find my self in situation where I need a high launch.

1) Playing the ball forward in the stance. Is it correct to assume that my low point is at the ball? (AOA close to zero) When playing this shot I feel as I'm picking the ball. Very little club/turf interaction. Or is there some other adjustment I need to do?

2) When in the semi-rough and need a high shot. I assume playing the ball forward in my stance is asking for problems?

Re: Hitting high shots  

By: Tyler F on June 6, 2022, 9:40 a.m.

Hi Rasmus,

1. Getting the AOA lower will help with the launch as well as getting a little less shaft lean. So yes, a common reaction is feeling that you're picking the ball compared to your normal stock swing.

For some golfers, swinging a little more fade bias helps move the low point forward while reducing shaft lean/loft. But if it's severe, then you might have to take more club, which would defeat the purpose since it would have less loft.

2. Depending on how thick the rough is, playing the ball forward might be okay. When the grass is really thick, then sweeping the ball isn't a good option. But if the club can get through it pretty easily, then having the ball forward isn't a bad approach. If the ball is sitting up enough, you can really hit it high this way.

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.