Toes and Tops

Toes and Tops  

By: William S on May 21, 2022, 12:01 p.m.

Tyler, Can you steer me in the right direction with my swing? My misses are tops with irons and toe hits with driver, though there’s probably some of both in each.
From the videos attached, I’m seeing a little chest pulling away from ball, arms slightly bent, and not enough turn in hips.
I’m a new member and I’ve already learned a lot from your website.

Re: Toes and Tops  

By: Tyler F on May 22, 2022, 4:04 p.m.

Hi William,

Welcome to the site, glad you're learning so much so quickly!

On to your issue. Typically, the big causes of toe shots are:
Standing up/pulling away from the ball
Tilting back too much
Arms pulling in
Outside in path

Looking at the picture I posted, you'll see that you don't really have either of the pivot issues here (maybe slightly pulling away, but definitely not a dramatic amount that would normally cause top shots). I'd say that the most likely issue is the slight outside-in path and the arms finishing in our down. Working on more space between your lead arm and your chest in the finish would likely help. .

But taking another perspective, one issue could be practicing with the ball a good inch above your feet. You probably want to make sure you feet and the ball are at the same height. Either with a larger matt that you can stand on, or raising your feet level to match the matt on the ground.

It would be interesting to compare this swing to a shot where you are actually hitting a ball outside off the ground, or with the driver. If you have a video handy, please post it for comparison.

Good luck!

Tyler

Re: Toes and Tops  

By: Paul B on July 18, 2022, 6:12 p.m.

This helps alot with my problem as well

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.