Arms extending spectrum

Arms extending spectrum  

By: Rasser S on June 14, 2022, 1:37 p.m.

Hi Tyler, been working on my arms extending in my follow through. My consistency on driver and long irons have improved. Done a number of L to i and finish in the arms long position.

As I understand. For the finesse wedge we still want to break the arm and swing more v-shaped.

Guess there will be a spectrum from U to V shape. My question is, when do you shift and what other considerations is there lie etc.? Would you always try and play with arms extending from distance wedges all the way to driver? I feel my AOA gets very flat. Or is there other things to consider?

Re: Arms extending spectrum  

By: Tyler F on June 16, 2022, 8:26 a.m.

With the finesse wedge, I don't like to see a lot (or hardly any) lengthening of the arms through impact. So if they are straight, they stay straight and if they are bent, they stay bent. So yes, it is a spectrum from the driver (max extending) to the putter (no extension). The relationship of the arms has to do with the relationship of the body. The more axis tilt, the more you want the arms to extend. So that can help answer your question.

But yes, if you have to change the shot from stock, you can increase AOA by getting your chest more on top of your front foot and staying there during the pivot.

Part of what changes the shape is having a shorter club. A shorter club will have more of a v shape naturally. See the picture.

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.